York Hotel is a two-storey hotel building constructed in 1900-01, and opened on 23 February 1901, to provide modern hotel facilities to the prospering Kalgoorlie community. Following the discovery of gold in 1893, Kalgoorlie quickly developed from a makeshift mining camp to a thriving community boasting fine public buildings. The increasing number of people arriving in Kalgoorlie necessitated an increase in the various facilities that were available. The architectural style of this building boom was greatly influenced by the number of eastern states architects who came to the goldfields seeking work, due to the depressed economy in the eastern states at the time. It was in this economic climate, that the York Hotel was built. It was built for Mr. Laslett who leased it to Mr. McLachlan. The architect responsible was Daniel T. Edmunds and the contractor J. Crothers. Edmunds was listed as in practice in Kalgoorlie between 1899-1912. While practising in Kalgoorlie it is known that he was also responsible for the City Markets, located opposite the York Hotel. The opening of the hotel was reported in detail in the local newspaper providing the reader with a comprehensive description of the building, its facilities and its interior fittings
This hotel is located in that part of Hannan-street, between Wilson and Cassidy streets which has been adorned with a number of admirable buildings, planned and designed by the architect for the York Hotel, Mr. D.T. Edmunds. In connection with this particular hotel the architect was given something like fair scope as regards the money available for the building, and the end result is a structure that externally and internally marks the advent of a new epoch in hotel-building, as against the primitive goldfields method of making bars the first and chief consideration. Elegance and comfort have received careful attention in the case of the York Hotel and in all departments artistic work is apparent.
The eastern main entrance brings the visitor to a luxurious lounge hall, from which rises the main staircase leading to the residential portion of the hotel. The staircase is built up in a remarkably artistic way, with a single flight to the first landing, two side flights, and above that a bridge. Over all is a very handsome circular dome which admits plenty of light. In the decoration of the interior, money seems to have been lavishly spent, and to admirable effect. Among the most notable features is the wide variety of artistic design and beauty of colouring of the stamped metal ceilings. Rich-hued and finely carved wood work also calls for special mention. In no part of the hotel is there
anything for simply garish display. The combination of tasteful artistic harmonies and contrasts seemed to have been arrived at. In its draperies and furniture each
apartment appears to have been separately studied, with no stint of costly material.